Welcome to Year 4
Mr Best- Teacher
Mrs Dorrell - HLTA
Miss S Agulan - Teacher
Our book for this term is: Perry Angel’s Suitcase by Glenda Millard.
The skills that we are focusing on are:
English Composition Objectives:
Plan their writing:
· Discussing writing similar to that which they are planning to write
· Discussing and recording ideas
Draw and write:
· Composing and rehearsing sentences orally
· Organising paragraphs around a theme
· In narratives, creating settings, character and plot
· In non-narrative material, using simple organisation devices
Evaluate and edit:
· Assessing the effectiveness of their own and others’ writing and suggesting improvements
· Proposing changes to grammar and vocabulary to improve consistency
Proofread for spelling and punctuation errors
Read aloud their writing using appropriate intonation and controlling the tone and volume so that the meaning is clear
English Grammar Objectives:
· Using the present perfect form of verbs in contrast to the past tense
· Indicating possession by using the possessive apostrophe with plural nouns
· Using conjunctions, adverbs and prepositions to express time and cause
· Using fronted adverbials
· Using commas after fronted adverbials
· Extending the range of sentences with more than one clause by using a wider range of conjunctions
· Preparing poems and play scripts to read aloud and to perform, showing understanding through intonation, tone, volume and action
· Identifying themes and conventions in a wide range of books
· Drawing inferences such as inferring characters’’ feelings, thoughts and motives from their actions and justifying inferences with evidence
· Identifying main ideas drawn from more than 1 paragraph and summarising these
· Drawing inferences such as inferring characters# feelings, thoughts and motives from their action and justifying inferences with evidence
In Maths, we are working on Fractions.
· recognise and show, using diagrams, families of common equivalent fractions
· count up and down in hundredths;
· recognise that hundredths arise when dividing an object by one hundred and dividing tenths by ten.
· solve problems involving increasingly harder fractions to calculate quantities, and fractions to divide quantities, including non-unit fractions where the answer is a whole number
· add and subtract fractions with the same denominator
In RE, we are learning about Christmas and Revelation.
Understand the conventions for collaborative online work, particularly in wikis.
Be aware of their responsibilities when editing other people’s work.
Become familiar with Wikipedia, including potential problems associated with its use.
Practise research skills.
Write for a target audience using a wiki tool.
Develop collaboration skills.
Develop proofreading skills.
The Geography skills we are looking at are:#• Locate the world’s countries using maps to focus on Europe and North and South America, concentrating on their environmental regions, key physical and human characteristics, countries and major cities
• Identify the position and significance of latitude, longitude, Equator, Northern Hemisphere, Southern Hemisphere, the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn, Arctic and Antarctic Circle, the Prime/Greenwhich Meridian and time zones (including day and night
• Describe and understand key aspects of human geography, including types of settlement and land use
Our topic in Science is ‘Electricity.’
• Identify common appliances that run on electricity
• Construct a simple series of electrical circuit, identifying and naming its basic parts, including cells, wires, bulbs, switches and buzzers
• Identify whether or not a lamp will light in a simple series circuit, based on whether or not the lamp is part of a complete loop with a battery
• Recognise that a switch opens and closes a circuit and associate this with wither or not a lamp lights in a simple series circuit
• Recognise some common conductors and insulators and associated metals with being good conductors
PE kits should be left in school for the half term to ensure that the children have their kits whenever we do PE.
Please make sure that your child brings their PE kit with them as we have PE on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Year 4 trip to Rowlands Castle
Electricity Safety Workshop
Information for Parents
Please click on the icons below for extra information to support your child this year: