Welcome to Year 4
Mrs K Bayliss - Teacher
Mrs K Stephens - Teacher
Miss S Agulan - Teacher
During this half term, Year 4 will be basing their work through the novel – Why the Whales Came by Michael Morpurgo.
Grammar skills to be taught this half term:
- Use of paragraphs to organise ideas around a theme
- Extending the range of sentences with more than one clause by using a wider range of conjunctions including when, if, because, although
- Indicating possession by using the possessive apostrophe with plural nouns
Reading skills to be taught this half term:
- Checking that the text makes sense to them, discussing their understanding and explaining the meaning of words in context
- Asking questions to improve their understanding of a text
- Drawing inferences such as inferring characters’ feelings
- Predicting what might happen from details stated and implied
During this half term, we will be looking at place value. We will be ensuring that our previous knowledge is embedded and extended to beyond 1000. The children will be following the ‘Inspire Maths’ programme.
Maths Around the World will be every Friday. We are excited to see which countries we can complete this year!
During this half term, we will be looking at topic ‘Creation.’
Children will be able to describe and show understanding of how we are created in the image and likeness of God
- They canshow an understanding of how the decision made by many people to give money to charity is informed by their religious belief
- They are able to show how our respect for the similarities and differences of others is reflected in the school’s Mission Statement
- They can engage with and respond to questions of life in the light of religious teaching.
This half term, the children would be learning to develop a simple educational game.
They would be:
- Designing, writing and debugging programs that accomplish specific goals
- Use sequence, selection and repetition in programs; work with variables and various forms of input and output
- Use logical reasoning to explain how simple algorithms work and to detect and correct errors in algorithms and programs.
We would also be learning about Online Safety. For this half term, we would be learning about copyright, safe search habits and how to participate positively in an online community.
Geography - What a Wonderful World
We will be linking our Geography through our Core Text, Why the Whales Came
Geography NC Objectives:
- Name and locate counties and cities of the United Kingdom, geographical regions and their identifying human and physical characteristics
- understand geographical similarities and differences through the study of human and physical geography of a region of the United Kingdom
- describe and understand key aspects of physical geography and human geography
- use maps, atlases, globes and digital/computer mapping to locate countries and describe features studied
- use the 8 points of a compass, 4- and 6-figure grid references, symbols and key (including the use of Ordnance Survey maps) to build their knowledge of the United Kingdom and the wider world
- use fieldwork to observe, measure record and present the human and physical features in the local area using a range of methods, including sketch maps, plans and graphs, and digital technologies
Science: Animals, including humans.
- Recognise that living things can be grouped in a variety of ways
- Explore and use classification keys to help group, identify and name a variety of living things in their local and wider environment
- Recognise that environments can change and this can sometimes pose dangers to living things.
PE kits should be left in school for the half term to ensure that the children have their kits whenever we do PE.
Monday afternoon is our PE coaching day but we may do PE on other days.
Marine biologist visit - dates to be confirmed
Information for Parents
Please click on the icons below for extra information to support your child this year: